A few weeks before Easter my dad told us he wanted to be baptized again. He had been baptized as a young child but really had no recollection of the event and wanted to rededicate himself to Christ in front of family and friends. When my nephew, Kyle, heard of my dad's plans he approached him and said, "Poppy, I want to be baptized with you." Just thinking about his sweet little voice making that decision and wanting to do it alongside of his Poppy brings a big smile to my face.
Our Lexington church home was planning to hold a pond baptism service on Easter so my dad and nephew decided that would be the time.
April 24, 2011
After a delicious Easter brunch our family headed over to the pond on our church's property for the baptisms. It is the same pond Toby and I took pictures at on our wedding day :) When we drove up it was packed and the line to be baptized stretched through the parking lot. It was an amazing sight to see so many believers taking the next step in their faith journey and become followers of Jesus Christ.
Here is a shot of the boys in line.
I could tell Kyle was a little nervous and I'm sure the waiting brought even more butterflies to his stomach but he was steadfast in his decision :)
Much to our surprise the line went pretty quickly and before we knew it they were both on the ramp walking into the pond!
This is my favorite picture from the day...both of them standing in the water waiting their turn. It is such a special moment for both of them and to be sharing it together was just perfect.
While waiting my dad mentioned to Kyle that the preacher who was going to baptize them was the same one who had married me. Kyle looked a little confused and even disagreed for a second but when my dad reassured him it was the same person he seemed puzzled but went with it.
They said the water was like ice which made the wait seem longer :) But, before they knew it they were up. Kyle went first. We were all so proud watching him!
"I'm changed!" Kyle really said this after he came up. Bless his little heart :)
Then it was Dad's turn. Kyle even got to help!
I couldn't get a good picture of my Dad because there was a man in the pond standing in my direct view :(
Sooo, here are Toby, Leighton and me watching the baptisms. Leighton was amazed by all the people in the pond and apparently I was in mid-laugh :)
Dad said the hardest part was getting out of the water lol. Glad no one slipped :) Here are the baptized boys.
And, because my family loves pictures so much (what? you couldn't tell) here is one of the whole crew minus little Aunt Jackie who was still down at the pond watching the baptisms. Please notice my child trying desperately to bug her sweet cousin Lyla :)
When we got home I asked Kyle if he knew the preacher who baptized him was the one who married me. He looked so confused and said, "Yeah I knew that but can I ask you something...why did you get a divorce?" I told him I didn't get a divorce that I was still married to his Uncle Toby. He said he knew that but why did I get divorced from the preacher!
LOL, he thought when my dad and I told him the preacher "married me" that he actually was MARRIED TO ME! I cleared that up quickly and laughed about it all night. Kyle said we should have just said the preacher married "US!" I guess he does have a point :) He is so dang precious and is always providing entertainment in every situation!!
There were over 200 people who were baptized at the pond on Easter. 200!! Isn't that amazing? Being part of such a great event was a perfect end to an already perfect Easter. So happy for my Dad and Kyle and I have to say I still chuckle when I think about being married to the preacher :)
"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." --Acts 2:38




No comments:
Post a Comment